Home Page
Pictures, Equipment & Apparatus

This is a thank you letter received via email from a Mom in New Jersey thanking the Franklinville Fire Department for the saving the life of her son.

Dear Chief Dixon,
I would first like to thank you for taking the time to receive my phone call on December 30. Your comforting and understanding demeanor towards me meant more than you will ever know. During that conversation I asked if you would kindly share this letter with all of your co-workers. It is my hope that you can, and will read this letter to them as if I wrote it to each one of them individually.

In the early morning hours of January 13, 2008, you were dispatched to a ATV accident on Butler Chapel Road. The victim was my son, Gary L. Robson, Jr. He was 26 years old at the time. Gary was staying with his father and a family friend who purchased property on that same road. They were busy clearing the property and cutting down trees. On that cold, Sunday morning, for reasons unknown, and time unknown to anyone, Gary left the property on an ATV. When his father, my husband of 28 years woke up and saw the ATV gone, he attempted to call Gary on the phone. After 15 minutes of not being able to contact him, my husband and his friends split into two groups to look for Gary. Within two minutes of their departure from the property, my husband and his best friend found our son lying cold, bloodied and lifeless on the frosted ground. 911 was called and within minutes, Trooper Allred arrived at the scene, followed by Frankli nville Fire & Rescue. I'm sure the scene was chaotic, and I know my husband was far beyond frantic.

I was notified in person by my brother-in-law and his wife at approximately 2:00pm that same afternoon of Gary's accident. They pulled into my driveway with airline tickets and some cash in hand. They rushed my daughter and I to the Philadelphia airport advising me to expect the worst, and that it was probable I would never get the chance to say "goodbye" to my first-born child, my only son. Upon my arrival to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, I was informed by the doctors that Gary had a 3% chance of survival. To my ears, that was a 97% chance of death. My husband and I are very humble people, we don't have much and don't ask for much. I am a very spiritual person and I distinctly remember "begging" the Lord not to take my son.

Needless to say, the good Lord listened, and Gary beat all odds. Gary is a very strong, brave and thoughtful young man. He graduated in the top of his college class with a 3.55 GPA, and took two of three top awards. He's a fine young man. He moved to Princeton, NC from his small home-town in New Jersey, on August 28, 2003 (mothers always remember the dates!)

I want to thank each and every one of you who treated my son at the scene. I believe it's quite possible each of you may have said a silent prayer for him. I know your duties are not always rewarding. Sometimes you forget a victim, and some linger in your mind forever. Based on your actions that cold January morning, my son is alive! I am forever grateful for all of your actions. Your actions prove to me that each and every one of you perform your duties as EMS, whether paid or volunteer, to the extreme of professionalism. I also want each of you to know that my husband, as distraught as he was at the time, remembers comforting words spoken to him as his only son was having his clothes ripped off his body and being whisked into an awaiting ambulance. Your home-town is very fortunate to have all of you as first-responders.

On December 29th, we celebrated the 27th birthday of our son. He is thriving with absolutely no limitations. He has been back to work as a First Class Mechanic at Progress Energy in Goldsboro, NC since early May.

With all this said, from the bottom of my heart "thank you". Thank you for getting out of bed that cold morning; thank you for taking your duties seriously, thank you for saving the life of a wonderful son, brother, uncle, nephew and grandson. Too often the first-responders have no idea how much they have touched the lives of their patients. Each of you have touched the lives of a humble family, in a small town in New Jersey. You all have been in my thoughts and prayers. I wish I could thank you in person and hug each and every one of you. May you all be blessed in your duties on a daily basis. From my home to yours, I tip my hat to each of you and please know that your actions will never, ever be forgotten. Please feel free to contact me at any time. Chief Dixon has my e-mail address. God bless each and every one you. You will never be forgotten in the small town of Cape May Court House, NJ. ; Words can never express my gratitude.

Debbie Robson Cape May, NJ
Gary in Hospital Gary last summer Gary spending Christmas with family

This web site was last updated: December 2008
If you wish to make a tax deductible donation, please make your check payable to Franklinville Fire Protection Association and mail your check to PO Box 8 Franklinville, NC.